Grid United aims to address a large barrier to a cleaner and more reliable grid by developing long-distance transmission lines in the United States. The organization is backed by patient capital and led by experienced energy veterans. Grid United is in fast-growth stage, has created a purpose-built team of motivated and entrepreneurial talent, and is looking to expand with an analyst or associate on the commercial analytics team. This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the value proposition and commercial strategy for long distance transmission projects and to guide the development of Grid United’s internal analytics capabilities. This role will report to the manager of commercial analytics.
The position is based with the team in Houston, TX. Grid United has a one-day/week work from home policy and is excited to expand the team. The expected travel for this position is less than 10%.
Please apply if you possess 70% or more of the required skills described below.
- Responsible for determining the value proposition for major transmission line projects to various customers and customer types and supporting that thesis through use of internal analysis and external consultants
- Guide the work of external consultants, diligence and digest their results for internal and external consumption, and manage project scope in order to meet deadlines
- Communicate project benefits and expected operations to developers, management, and external stakeholders
- Track and disseminate information on customers and markets including utility integrated resource plans, changes to market design, and other initiatives
- Develop and use tools to analyze power markets and project commercialization strategies
- Identify new analytical needs and determine whether they should be met internally or externally
- Use internal and external resources to guide project development activities, support regulatory processes and commercial conversations
- Identify and evaluate creative or alternative project value streams and commercial approaches
- Use creativity and ambition to continue the growth of Grid United
- Bachelors degree
- 2+ years experience in energy development, power trading, or other analytical power market-adjacent role
- A passion for collaborative, team-based work with a hands-on entrepreneurial approach to project development
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships and communicate across disciplines
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task efficiently with constant regard for accuracy and quality
- Adaptability and flexibility to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity, and project changes
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines
- Hard work ethic, persistence, and an ability to quickly grasp and understand new concepts
- Experience building or using fundamental or statistical models of power markets
- Experience with python/R
- Familiarity with weather datasets
- Understanding of concepts including transmission congestion, resource adequacy, fundamentals/production cost modeling
- The position has competitive compensation
- Eligible for medical, dental, vision, 401(k), bonus, paid time off
Diversity is a core value at Grid United. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all team members. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
If you are interested in the commercial analyst/associate position, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.