Grid United aims to address a large barrier to a cleaner and more reliable grid by developing long-distance transmission lines in the United States. The organization is backed by patient capital and led by experienced energy veterans. Grid United is in fast-growth stage, has created a purpose-built team of motivated and entrepreneurial talent, and is looking to expand with a project engineer. This is an exciting opportunity to help Grid United manage project design to advance and support development activities. This role would report to the director of engineering.
The position is based with the team in Houston, TX. Grid United has a one-day/week work from home policy and is excited to expand the team. The expected travel for this position is up to 25%.
- Responsible for leading design activities for major transmission line projects by collaborating with internal resources, managing external engineering consultants, and interfacing with various project stakeholders
- Provide engineering support to other disciplines as needed for project development and risk mitigation
- Provide conceptual and preliminary design products for use throughout the organization and external parties
- Participate in field visits to assess site/route suitability and constructability
- Engage with landowners, community members, and other stakeholders to convey technical components of projects
- Track and manage resolution of engineering issues and tasks
- Support technical inputs required for project permitting submittals
- As needed, collaborate on structure selection process with cost evaluations and technical alignment
- Stay informed about technical capabilities and advances in HVDC and transmission industry, sharing knowledge throughout the organization
- As needed, collaborate on HVDC configuration and vendor selection process with cost evaluations and technical alignment
- Participate in design reviews to evaluate compliance with project constraints and identify optimization opportunities
- Lead planning of project design activities, including engineering scope, budget, and schedule
- Utilize internal tools and market outreach to prepare and update project CAPEX estimates
- Provide technical due diligence support such as fatal flaw analyses for early-stage development prospects and potential acquisition opportunities
- Document relevant information from meetings with engineering, construction, or commercial partners, following up as necessary
- Propose and implement lessons learned to support continuous improvement throughout the organization
- Use creativity and ambition to continue the growth of Grid United
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (civil, electrical, mechanical, or environmental) from an ABET-accredited program
- 3-5 years prior engineering work experience in a related field, preferably electric transmission or renewable energy.
- Knowledge of overall design and construction process for major energy projects
- Strong ambition to learn the cutting edge of the power industry and transmission development
- A passion for collaborative, team-based work with a hands-on entrepreneurial approach to project development
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships and work professionals from different disciplines
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task efficiently with constant regard for accuracy and quality
- Adaptability and flexibility to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity, and project changes
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines
- Hard work ethic, persistence, and an ability to quickly grasp and understand new concepts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to interface with landowners and other project stakeholders to convey technical information
- Proficiency with the following software:
- Microsoft Office suite products (Excel, PowerPoint) – required
- ArcGIS – preferred
- PLS-CADD – a plus
- The position has competitive compensation
- Eligible for medical, dental, vision, 401(k), bonus, paid time off
Diversity is a core value at Grid United. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all team members. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
If you are interested in the project engineer position, please submit your resumé to email@example.com.