Grid United is aiming to solve the largest barrier to a more reliable and cleaner grid by developing new long haul transmission lines in North America. Grid United is in fast-growth stage, has created a purpose-built team of motivated and entrepreneurial talent, and is looking to expand with a Senior Counsel. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced attorney to provide commercial, corporate and transactional advice to Grid United. The Senior Counsel position is based in Houston, TX. Grid United is open to flexible work hours (e.g., 2 days a week remote working after an onboarding period) in order to support and attract the best talent.
- The attorney will be responsible for providing legal advice regarding corporate, commercial, regulatory, corporate governance and transactional matters, which may include negotiation of confidentiality agreements, supply agreements, interconnection agreements, governmental funding applications, joint venture agreements and mergers and acquisition documents.
- Identify and analyze complex legal issues, and present clear, well-reasoned business and legal recommendations to clients reflecting an understanding of the Company’s business.
- Provide timely and high quality legal advice to clients.
- Contribute substantially to the development and implementation of sound Company policies.
- Communicate with the GC and others at all levels of the organization, including clients, senior management and investors.
- Adhere to the Company’s corporate vision, values, and high ethical requirements.
- Work to ensure corporate compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and corporate policies.
- Prepare and present topics in areas of specialization to other areas of the Company as needed.
- Ability to take necessary actions to identify, evaluate and mitigate legal risk exposure, to explain and balance risks and rewards of a particular course of actions, and to provide proactive legal and business advice in a commercial manner.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience in commercial, corporate and/or transactional legal practice is required, in-house experience preferred
- 3-5 years of training at a well-recognized, prominent law firm
- Knowledge of, and experience advising companies in, the electric power or linear infrastructure business
- Solid exposure to mergers and acquisitions transactions
- Experience with transmission services agreements and interconnection agreements is a plus
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently/remotely while keeping his/her supervisor and colleagues appropriately informed; also must have ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with team members
- Familiarity with general corporate matters
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Texas (or be willing to apply for reciprocity to the Texas bar)
- Strong academic credentials from a top-tier US law school
- Highly confident, articulate, self-motivated, self-sufficient and enthusiastic individual who is a team player
- Entrepreneurial and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to travel periodically (20% or less)