Grid United is aiming to solve the largest barrier to a more reliable and cleaner grid by developing new long haul transmission lines in the United States. The organization is backed by patient capital and led by experienced energy industry veterans. Grid United is in fast-growth stage, has created a purpose-built team of motivated and entrepreneurial talent, and is looking to expand with a Vice President of Transmission & Interconnection. This position is based in Houston, TX and will report to the Chief Development Officer.
Please apply if you possess 70% or more of the required skills described below.
As they say, Transmission Planning is an art as much as it’s a science. The old paradigm of building transmission to deliver conventional dispatchable generation is rapidly shifting towards one to deliver a diverse set of resources spread across a wider footprint. This new paradigm comes with new complex challenges that require today’s planners to be imaginative and creative problem solvers. At Grid United, we take pride in creating a complex and unique product – Transmission. Transmission, that is not only practical to develop and build, but with a compelling value proposition for energy consumers. Although transmission planning is the trade at the core of the role, this is an excellent opportunity to expand your knowledge beyond traditional planning including policy and regulation, utility ratemaking, resource adequacy, electric market structures, and last but not the least – the cutting edge of VSC HVDC systems. Our development portfolio spans a number of RTOs and the non-RTO West with widely different grid dynamics and nuances. The candidate is expected to have demonstrated knowledge and experience in performing most of the job responsibilities mentioned below, across two or more regions, independently with minimal supervision.
- Identify optimum locations on the grid with potential for interregional transmission expansion or interconnecting large volume of generation resources in the GW range. This may include performing quantitative grid analysis like power flow, SCED/production cost modeling, transient stability in addition to qualitative analysis. For example, extensive research on the local grid fundamentals, IRPs and long-range transmission plans, local grid planning history, utility/RTO tariff and policy, etc. At a minimum, candidates need to be able to perform initial analysis to guide and reason with external consultants with deeper regional or subject matter expertise.
- Develop interconnection plan and execution strategy including optimum application size, timing of queue entry, selecting AC line parameters or HVDC configuration, assessing risk of untenable network upgrades, queue dynamics and churn, etc.
- Actively manage interconnection filings including milestones, payment forecasts, slippages in queue timelines with regular communications to rest of the development team. Diagnose interconnection study results, test, and propose alternative transmission mitigations.
- Negotiate complex transmission and/or generator interconnection agreements with various transmission service providers across the US and Canada
- Perform economic transmission planning analysis using production cost modeling software to assess changes in adjusted production cost to compute the B/C ratio of proposed transmission projects
- Support commercial analytics team in performing detailed nodal and zonal market analysis to evaluate the commercial value of Inter Grid DC ties by providing network assumptions, evaluating transmission constraints, diagnosing and interpreting results. This may also include assessments to evaluate congestion and curtailment risk for large generation interconnection.
- Research various cost allocation methodologies, merchant/regulated transmission funding and rate recovery mechanisms across the US and internationally
- Actively follow various RTO stakeholder meetings and industry advocacy groups to both stay abreast and advocate for policy changes that could impact company’s development portfolio
- Gain a deep understanding of various HVDC technologies, configurations, and engineering parameters. Coordinate with HVDC Engineering specialists to develop necessary models for interconnection analysis.
- Research and analyze WECC path ratings and other transmission service paths to identify optimum upgrades required for increasing transfer capability
- Perform due diligence on potential acquisition targets to assess interconnection and commercial viability of projects
- Perform ad hoc research on special topics like DC tie operation rules and procedures, scheduling, etc.
- Support development and engineering teams in developing project proposals, cost estimates, and other activities
- Coordinate and work with an internal team comprised of individuals with varied experience and background across different industries and specialties
- Structure, execute, and manage contractual arrangements with consultants and subcontractors necessary to support a broad range of transmission planning analyses
- Demonstrated knowledge of grid planning and/or electric market principles with experience utilizing at least one of the common grid analytics tools like PSS/E, PSLF, Powergem TARA, PROMOD, GRIDVIEW, UPLAN, PLEXOS, AURORA, etc.
- Planning level knowledge of HVDC technology and systems, substation configurations, transmission line design and ratings, and cost estimates
- Commercially minded, creative individual with the willingness and flexibility to work in a fast-paced work environment with constantly shifting priorities
- Self-starter willing to persevere with solving the problem at hand under ambiguity and often no readily available data
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with utility and ISO representatives, external engineering firms, and company personnel from varied technical backgrounds
- BS in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university with an emphasis on Power Systems is required
- MS in Electrical Engineering or MBA preferred
- The position has competitive compensation
- Eligible for medical, dental, vision, 401(k), bonus, paid time off
Diversity is a core value at Grid United. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all team members. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
If you are interested in the Vice President of Transmission & Interconnection position, please submit your resumé to email@example.com.